You’ve seen “them” riding on their 10 speeds, hunched over, no fenders, wearing colorful stretchy biking outfits and zooming by you barely managing a nod. Cyclists!
I swore this would not happen to me as I turned up my nose while riding (sitting up) on my 31-year-old touring style bicycle on the Bay Trail. Of course, in no time I was wearing colorful stretchy (in my case Yoga) outfits zooming by people…and nodding.
I was “one of them”!
There are all kinds of bikes to choose from sporting all types of riders but there is a common thread throughout that bonds us together as cyclists. The rituals and quirks that rub off on us all as we navigate our lives around our bicycles. Isn’t it good to belong?
Photo from MapMyFitness
Signs You Might Be A Cyclist
- You can’t recognize your biking friends when they aren’t wearing colorful stretchy biking outfits.
- The “check engine” light in your car has been on for months, but the most minor mechanical issue on your bike is fixed first.
- You have at least one Facebook profile shot of you posing on or next to your bike with a gorgeous landscape behind you.
- Your bike has a nickname.
- When your driving you watch out for other riders, you slow down to a near crawl and give them plenty of room. You know what it means to be in that bike lane.
- You also know what it’s like to use choice words when a vehicle cuts you off or a hater honks and nearly startles you off your bike. (They are out there.)
- You run errands after your bike rides while wearing your colorful stretchy biking outfits. (Don’t forget to take the helmet off!)
- You spend more time biking spending weekends and planning vacations around bike rides and rides with groups.
- Stripes on your thighs and ankles, cut-out shapes on the tops of your hands, your colorful stretchy bike outfits tan lines will incite laughter at the beach and pool.
- You ride to and from work because it’s the fastest way, and you’ve become a pro at changing in the office bathroom.
- You don’t notice the grease on your clothes or tear in your pants until you’re at that meeting.
- If you’re a woman, you take better care of your favorite bike clothes than your finest lingerie. (They can be expensive.)
- If you’re a man, you have smoother legs than your wife or girlfriend.
- You embrace fluorescent jackets, vests, and shirts. The brighter, the better.
- You know what it means to do time in the saddle.
- You’ve felt the shame of having to walk your bike up a hill and the pride of conquering that climb on your bike after a few weeks’ of riding.
- You have more colorful stretchy biking pants (or shorts) in your laundry basket than jeans.
- You’re baffled when your roommate or partner doesn’t understand why your bike can’t be stored outside.
- Some of your hardest falls have happened when you’ve stopped or slowed to a crawl, which doesn’t make sense but happens none-the-less.
- You take a bad fall with bloody hands and knees, but your first question is whether or not your bike survived.
- You look and feel better than you have in some time, can’t stop smiling, and have oodles of extra energy.
My bicycle photo made into a GIF using Masterpiece Art Filters from PhotoLab Pro and LunaPic.
Rules 2 Remember While Riding
Use Your Hand Signals
You may not have fallen prey to all of the signs yet but I predict you will. If you fall in love with cycling you’ll enrich your health and life becoming stronger with more energy. You can do it.